[mythtv-users] What's the4 status of direct playback of Blu-ray?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Jun 29 23:17:22 UTC 2012

On 29/06/2012 22:52, John Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:30 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Just bought a Blu-ray drive for my gf's frontend, but then read
>> of BD+ not being supported. Is that still the case? What are
>> people's experiences? Are most current releases using BD+ and
>> hence unsupported?
>
> Lets be realistic.  Getting the main title to play is probably feasible
> with an impractical expense and effort.  See the interesting thread that
> developed here about using a Windows VM and AnyDVD for a solution
> requiring over a hundred dollars of closed source software and a ~fifty
> dollar BD drive vs. a fifty dollar standalone player.  Lots of nerd cred
> there, but if you want to insert a disc and see it now, buy a player.
> If you are building up a storage array with all your media it is
> something to consider for the added convenience
>
> The hard reality is that no Open Source/Free Software player can play a
> recent DVD reliably after over a decade of intense development effort
> while any twenty dollar Black Friday bargain bin DVD player has no
> problem.  Hollywierd learned many lessons from DVD and have applied them
> to BD.  It would be unrealistic to expect reliable playback of BD in
> less than a decade.
>
> Copy Protection is a war that we can at best fight to a tie.  Most of us
> here don't want to 'steal' the precious content, we just want to play
> the darned things.  But we are caught in the crossfire.

Many wise words, particularly those last two sentences: if I wanted
to make an illegal copy that would be easy, but just playing the thing
legitimately is the problem.

I'd disagree that JYA has achieved no more than nerd cred. I
think his approach sounds like a nice solution if you are willing to
go that far.

P.