[mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

Andrew Codrington andrew.codrington at fidenti.ca
Sat Jun 16 20:26:22 UTC 2012

[Replying to a digest, apologies if I've botched this. See below.]

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 21:50:00 -0400
> From: "David Brieck Jr." <dbrieck at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to 0.25
> > from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian and
> Ubuntu
> > versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on all frontends
> and
> > Ubuntu server on the backends.  Since the upgrade I have been having
> > several problems, I am posting this in the hope someone will recognize
> some
> > of these symptoms and recommend fixes/workarounds.
> >
> > 1.  HDPVR.  I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box.
> > am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
> > Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
> > Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable.  Prior to the
> > upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times
> in
> > the past few years.  Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.
> > When it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel
> > changing on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to
> > change the channel).  Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?
> > This would seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the
> > firmware on the device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that
> changed
> > was the OS and MythTV version.
> >

> I've had this exact same problem. However, I can't say whether it's 12.04
> or 0.25 that's doing it. The main hard drive in my backend crashed and when
> I rebuilt it with 12.04 I was forced into 0.25.
>
> In addition to locking up the USB bus, I was only able to get things back
> to normal with a complete power off. A simply reboot didn't fix the
> problem. It also seemed to cause problems with 2 PVR-250s that were in the
> same box, but that could have just been a backend lockup because of the
> HDPVR.
>
> We're pretty serious about TV in my house and I got tired of having to fix
> things daily. I ended up getting rid of my HDPVR and bought a HDHR3CC tuner
> and haven't had any problems since.
>
> It stinks you  can't do the same thing.

I'm in a similar boat. For ages it was my hdpvr that would lockup and give
0 byte recordings. Now it records ok, but the IR channel changer (mceusb
blaster) is locking up. That's bad enough but my kid watches TLC all the
time directly through the SA4250HD - so I get great quality recordings of
crappy shows instead of what I scheduled...

The worst part is sometimes even a shutdown doesn't seem to reset the USB
bus. I can't repeatably get back to a working ir blaster.

Can anyone recommend a workaround for that? I'm hoping to avoid buying new
hardware as Enigma did...

--
Andrew Codrington
Andrew.Codrington at fidenti.ca