[mythtv-users] Segmentation faults when running mythtv components on Fedora 17

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 03:29:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Michael Cracraft
<michael.cracraft at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been getting a segmentation fault with any mythtv related programs
> for the last few days since a yum upgrade. I believe it occurred at the same
> time as the last kernel upgrade, but I am not positive.
> One odd thing is that there seem to be instances of ld-linux.so.2 in both
> /lib and /usr/lib. (I'm running the 32-bit version of F17 by the way.) That
> seemed a bit odd so I checked to see what package was providing the file.

If you upgraded from F16 to F17 there were a number of
steps that changed the file system to a combined system
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
so that /lib and /usr/lib is actually the same thing (and so
is /sbin and /usr/sbin).  So, seeing the file using both paths
is to be expected (/lib is a link to /usr/lib, /sbin is a link to
/usr/sbin).

That said, I do not know if preupgrade performed the complete
set of steps needed yp upgrade correctly, but I do remember
a number of bugzilla reports opened that there were cases
where it failed (usually edge cases, but perhaps you are one
of those edge cases).

You may also want to use package-cleanup --problems to
determine if the upgrade was not entirely clean.

If all else fails, a clean install of F17 is probably best.

Gary