[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 11:26:24 UTC 2012

On 24/02/12 21:12, Neil Cooper wrote:

(snipped much praise about winamp)

> Personally I'd never use it. Its way way too complicated and therefore
> inefficient for what I need. If you're really set on implementing that
> approach please offer it as a configurable option, but don't make it the only
> way Mythmusic works. I really don't want another way of working imposed on me
> when I already have the directory structure I want set up. Also dont forget
> most mythtv users have a remote not a keyboard. This makes any features where
> the user enters text (search terms etc.) very awkward if not impossible,
> therefore useless.

Yup, I agree. I found winamp too complex to use, or needed time learning the
interface I didn't have to spare. There's no way I'd put something like that in
front of my family.

As has also been pointed out, something like that can be tricky to use with
anything but a keyboard and mouse. A remote control? Forget it.

Keeping the basic directory structure, at least as an option, is in my view a
must. Sometimes it is the only way to find out what's /really/ going on, when
you can't work out where something is or why it's behaving in a way you don't
understand. In other words, it is an essential diagnostic tool, and one that
everyone understands.

--

Mike Perkins