[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Sat Feb 25 01:51:18 UTC 2012

>> No offense, but how is it "sane" to go through and put BS data in
>> metadata
>> tags just to have it organized the way a simple folder structure does
>> (not
>> to mention, with a folder structure I can keep accurate metadata...as in
>> what the metadata is actually for)?

-snip-

>I guess I don't understand something about your setup - what if you've
>got some music from a given artist bought from iTunes, and some from
>Amazon? Do they end up weirdly split between two higher-level folders,
>or do you symlink them together? Or do you mean you maintain folders
>for, say, "Sounds Like Genesis" and keep your British Prog Rock in
>there? How do you deal with albums that belong in several categories?

>I'm obviously missing something, because I can't imagine how anything
>could ever be found in your system.

No, I have a folder called "wifey's music" (because that's how she wants it,
and I prefer my bed to my couch) and in there I've dumped all the individual
songs she's bought.  She's then gone in and done some further organizing by
artist and such.  I also have a few "custom" folders for compilation albums
(i.e. "Christmas Music" or "Sound Tracks") that then go Album -> Track.

Beyond that I have my directories going Artists A - E, Artists F - J, etc ->
Artist -> Album -> Tracks.  I don't do genres because they are too
subjective so multiple categories aren't an issue.