[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Feb 25 01:39:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
> No offense, but how is it "sane" to go through and put BS data in metadata
> tags just to have it organized the way a simple folder structure does (not
> to mention, with a folder structure I can keep accurate metadata...as in
> what the metadata is actually for)?

I'm not using MythMusic, so I don't have to fudge my metadata - I use
a media player that allows me to treat Playlists like top-level music
sources and then drill down to Album->Artist from there. So I can
create Playlists for "Bought From iTunes" or "80's Oz Rock", and any
given track can be classified under one, many or indeed none of these
lists.

I guess I don't understand something about your setup - what if you've
got some music from a given artist bought from iTunes, and some from
Amazon? Do they end up weirdly split between two higher-level folders,
or do you symlink them together? Or do you mean you maintain folders
for, say, "Sounds Like Genesis" and keep your British Prog Rock in
there? How do you deal with albums that belong in several categories?

I'm obviously missing something, because I can't imagine how anything
could ever be found in your system.

- Chris