[mythtv-users] Reliable channel changes on Dish network VIP 211k

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Feb 21 22:12:19 UTC 2012

On 2/21/12 3:39 PM, Michael wrote:
> The problem is that roughly 1 out of every 5 channel changes doesn't
> select the right channel.  Either the channel doesn't change or it goes
> to the wrong channel
>
> I have tried changing the sleep time value, adding various sleeps, etc
> with almost not impact to whether I get the right channels.

I have a nearly identical setup (same receivers, different blaster), and
spent a LONG time on this issue. I have a few suggestions for you.

Dish remotes use a 56 KHz carrier frequency, which can be very finicky.
Instead of using the exact lircd.conf from the wiki, I suggest you use
the receiver built-into the CommandIR along with lirc's "irrecord"
function to see what kind of file it generates. This will be more
accurately tuned to the CommandIR than a generic .conf file is.

You most likely don't have to go through all of the buttons on your
remote. You can just do 3 or 4 buttons. Copy these header lines:

   eps, aeps, one, zero, header, ptrail, gap

from the resulting file and paste them into the prewritten conf file.
Restart lircd and try some channel changes.

If that doesn't work any better, send me a private email and I'll send
you a copy of the "universal, does everything under the sun" channel
change script I wrote some time ago. It communicates directly with LIRC,
bypassing irsend.