[mythtv-users] MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 21 17:17:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:40:32PM -0800, jk90090 wrote:
> On 2/16/12 1:32 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM, jedi<jedi at mishnet.org>  wrote:
> >
> > Yes, and the forum posts are interesting as well. Lots of MythTV
> > bashing, but nothing really constructive. This is a gem:
> >
> > "I've been running MythTV for 5+ years now, and frankly, it hasn't
> > changed much. "
> >
> > Seriously? I've been running it for much longer than that (almost 8
> > years) and if you can't see that it's changed, you are missing
> > something. Glasses perhaps.
> >
> > For something truly 'old fashioned', try your local cable co's PVR offering...
> >
> The competition isn't the local cable co PVR, it's Tivo, Windows Media
> Center, and other good software based PVRs.  I agree that MythTV hasn't

     ...which continue to lag behind MythTV in some areas despite it's
apparent stagnation. If someone wants to tackle something comparable to
"Internet TV" in MCE, then I'm all for that. Although something like that
doesn't really require a fork of MythTV. Something like that could even be
handled by a separate app that's just launched from the usual XML menus.

     That all comes down to the basic question of "what's modern".

> advanced much in reality.  It's still doing the same thing it did 9
> years ago generally except better (VDPAU and storage pools for
> example).  I'm OK with that though.  I am however disappointed by area
> like streaming to phones, laptops, transcoding, etc are still woefully

     "streaming" to other devices is primarily hung up on the fact that
many of them aren't well equipped to deal with any TV recording or most
other forms of video for that matter.