[mythtv-users] Firewire unstable.

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Feb 21 16:02:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Aaron Russell <aaron at therussells.me> wrote:
> 3. Should i try to get fios to give me a new cable box and hope the new one
> is
> better?

This is probably your best bet, but it's really a shot in the dark.  I
had a lot of trouble recording via firewire with Comcast and a
DCH-3200.  I switched to Verizon for a few months and had better luck
with their box, but switched back to Comcast for other reasons and
ended up with an identical looking DCH-3200, but this one seemed to
work fine without the problem I'd had before.

> 4. I also have a pvr150 in the mythtv but i believe its dying because i get
> really crappy quality from it. The cable box is only 10% of my recording so
> what
> are my other option. I dont want to spend much because its such a small
> amount
> of recordings.

Understood.  It does cost some more money, but I can tell you that the
cable card solutions are all much more stable and reliable than
firewire.  If you can find the budget for a HD Homerun Prime or Ceton
InfiniTV it takes all the voodoo out of the process of getting mythtv
to record encrypted cable.

Eric