[mythtv-users] MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:40:32 UTC 2012

On 2/16/12 1:32 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM, jedi<jedi at mishnet.org>  wrote:
>
> Yes, and the forum posts are interesting as well. Lots of MythTV
> bashing, but nothing really constructive. This is a gem:
>
> "I've been running MythTV for 5+ years now, and frankly, it hasn't
> changed much. "
>
> Seriously? I've been running it for much longer than that (almost 8
> years) and if you can't see that it's changed, you are missing
> something. Glasses perhaps.
>
> For something truly 'old fashioned', try your local cable co's PVR offering...

The competition isn't the local cable co PVR, it's Tivo, Windows Media
Center, and other good software based PVRs.  I agree that MythTV hasn't
advanced much in reality.  It's still doing the same thing it did 9
years ago generally except better (VDPAU and storage pools for
example).  I'm OK with that though.  I am however disappointed by area
like streaming to phones, laptops, transcoding, etc are still woefully
under featured comparatively.  Also, I'm a bit unhappy that major bugs
are taking and exceptionally long to fix, YET I am still understanding
since we are talking about a community coded software project and I'm
lucky to get even this amount of support.

My 1/2 cent.

-JK