[mythtv-users] Adding an SSD to my MBE -- partitioning question

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue Feb 14 21:16:25 UTC 2012

On 2/14/12 8:59 PM, Andre wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2012, at 20:37, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/14/2012 03:13 AM, Warpme wrote:
>>> In my SSD tests I replaced OS+DB drive to SSD (Samsung 830 series, 64G
>>> model).
>>> SSD was with Ext4, discard, noatime, barriers=off. CHS aligned to 32/32.
>>>
>> FWIW, with an SSD, you may well be able to enable barriers without
>> getting the huge performance penalty.
> Yep, mine runs fine with ext4&  barriers.
>
> Manually trimming right now and it slows down a bit after a few weeks, manual trim gets it back to instant response and at it's slowest it's still faster than my HDD ever was. Netbooting frontends from SSD is also extremely fast and doesn't seem to impact simultaneous backend performance.
>
> I'm not running tmpfs for /tmp, will try that when I'm back from my business trip.
>
> Andre
>
>> Mike

Yeah,
I bought SSD drive with hope to basically achieve what you described.
What surprise was when I discover that it is not my case.
I started to little investigate why this and currently my conclusions
are like those in my earlier post.

Regarding netbooting: my install can be speedup very little as it looks
like I can't exceed 70-80MB/s for HTTP download of PXE image (if FE has
fast CPU). Currently I think this limitation is by lighttpd.
My current FEs are ION1 and AtomCPU limitations regarding INT service
rate simply limits HTTP downloads speed to 20-30MB/s :-(
Scheduling 380+ item in 5.5-6sec seems to be quite reasonable in
absolute values (curious about other ppl. benchmarks here).

Still surprised by my SSD vs. HDD results - but I qualified them as:
current kernel has so many well working caching/buffering that my system
(headless BE without X) is working quite optimally and practically can't
be speed-up by upgrade to SSD.

-br