[mythtv-users] Adding an SSD to my MBE -- partitioning question

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Feb 14 19:59:14 UTC 2012

On 14 Feb 2012, at 20:37, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/14/2012 03:13 AM, Warpme wrote:
>> In my SSD tests I replaced OS+DB drive to SSD (Samsung 830 series, 64G
>> model).
>> SSD was with Ext4, discard, noatime, barriers=off. CHS aligned to 32/32.
>>

> FWIW, with an SSD, you may well be able to enable barriers without
> getting the huge performance penalty.

Yep, mine runs fine with ext4 & barriers.

Manually trimming right now and it slows down a bit after a few weeks, manual trim gets it back to instant response and at it's slowest it's still faster than my HDD ever was. Netbooting frontends from SSD is also extremely fast and doesn't seem to impact simultaneous backend performance.

I'm not running tmpfs for /tmp, will try that when I'm back from my business trip.

Andre