[mythtv-users] DVB recordings fail with: 'Warning: Unsupported bandwidth parameter'

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Feb 13 17:23:39 UTC 2012

On 13/02/12 16:20, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 13/02/12 15:57, Mike Perkins wrote:
>

>> Hmm. It seems that this one multiplex is transmitted on a different antenna to
>> the other five (on the same mast). I wonder if something's set up differently?
>>

> I suppose you're getting that from here - but if not other stuff there
> is perhaps useful.
>
> http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SU527568
>
> I've generally found that entering a known good frequency and scanning
> known transports, and going round again, will get there in the end - but
> not for HD.

Ugly. Very ugly.

I nuked my sources and set them up again, then did a full scan. This gave me
eight transports, five of which were for either Crystal Palace or South Oxon so
I deleted those. With the remaining three, I then did a full scan of existing
transports picking up others along the way, that gave me the 6 I needed...

I check with mysql query, and the original three had duff information in the
table. So I deleted those and re-ran the previous step with the new three. This
finally gave me a set of six with good(ish) info.

There's a final wrinkle, in that one of the multiplexes only carries some of the
BBC channels already carried by another multiplex. This gives duplicates in the
table, which I deleted. I suspect this multiplex might end up being the HD one
when we get to Phase II on the 22nd.

Thanks for your hints.

The channel scanner is a dog's breakfast, and I'm glad it's going. I just hope
the new one is a bit more useful. Examples:

The transport editor doesn't sort the list any way, which makes it difficult to
check you have the right frequencies. It doesn't display the channel id (I mean
21-69 here, not the subchannel id). It also doesn't display the transmitter,
information I know is available since dvb-scan shows it, which makes it hard to
select when you can receive from more than one direction.

A full scan shows you the channel numbers (21-69) as it goes through the range.
It doesn't show you frequencies or transport id's.

A scan of a single existing transport doesn't show you channel ids or
frequencies, just transport id's.

A scan of existing transports shows you the frequencies of the existing
transports... and the transport ids of any new ones it finds.

The information updated into the dtv_network table seems to change depending
what kind of scan you picked.

The questions you get asked at the end make no sense whatsoever. 21 off-line
channels found? Huh? What does that mean? If they are off-line, how did you find
them? Why am I offered three choices that are so obscure I don't want to pick
any of them?

Meh.

</rant>

--