[mythtv-users] DVB recordings fail with: 'Warning: Unsupported bandwidth parameter'

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Feb 13 17:50:37 UTC 2012

On 13/02/12 17:23, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 13/02/12 16:20, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 13/02/12 15:57, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>

>>> Hmm. It seems that this one multiplex is transmitted on a different antenna to
>>> the other five (on the same mast). I wonder if something's set up differently?
>>>

>> I suppose you're getting that from here - but if not other stuff there
>> is perhaps useful.
>>
>> http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SU527568
>>
>> I've generally found that entering a known good frequency and scanning
>> known transports, and going round again, will get there in the end - but
>> not for HD.
>>
> Ugly. Very ugly.
>
> I nuked my sources and set them up again, then did a full scan. This gave me
> eight transports, five of which were for either Crystal Palace or South Oxon so
> I deleted those. With the remaining three, I then did a full scan of existing
> transports picking up others along the way, that gave me the 6 I needed...
>
> I check with mysql query, and the original three had duff information in the
> table. So I deleted those and re-ran the previous step with the new three. This
> finally gave me a set of six with good(ish) info.
>
> There's a final wrinkle, in that one of the multiplexes only carries some of the
> BBC channels already carried by another multiplex. This gives duplicates in the
> table, which I deleted. I suspect this multiplex might end up being the HD one
> when we get to Phase II on the 22nd.

Yes: I saw duplicate channels for a short time during the switchover

> Thanks for your hints.
>
> The channel scanner is a dog's breakfast, and I'm glad it's going. I just hope
> the new one is a bit more useful. Examples:
>
> The transport editor doesn't sort the list any way, which makes it difficult to
> check you have the right frequencies. It doesn't display the channel id (I mean
> 21-69 here, not the subchannel id). It also doesn't display the transmitter,
> information I know is available since dvb-scan shows it, which makes it hard to
> select when you can receive from more than one direction.
>
> A full scan shows you the channel numbers (21-69) as it goes through the range.
> It doesn't show you frequencies or transport id's.
>
> A scan of a single existing transport doesn't show you channel ids or
> frequencies, just transport id's.
>
> A scan of existing transports shows you the frequencies of the existing
> transports... and the transport ids of any new ones it finds.
>
> The information updated into the dtv_network table seems to change depending
> what kind of scan you picked.
>
> The questions you get asked at the end make no sense whatsoever. 21 off-line
> channels found? Huh? What does that mean? If they are off-line, how did you find
> them? Why am I offered three choices that are so obscure I don't want to pick
> any of them?

Glad you got there in the end.  You might find it useful to save the
mythtvsetup terminal output from an 'all known transports' scan once you
have a good set of transports - although I don't think that at present
there's a supported way of reentering much of the info.

To use my laptop at another site I'm intending to load up info for all
transports at all relevant sites and then just delete all channels and
rescan the appropriate transports on arrival.  It might work...

John P