[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:24:52 UTC 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nonsense... Anything over 60 fps output is all you need.
> 1080i is 30fps, and what comes out from Advanced 2X is 60fps, no more, no less.

Yes, but but you need that > 60 fps on every type of program and qvdpautest only tests one short clip.  My experience has been that I will get a noticeable amount of dropped frames on some material if the qvdpautest result for mixer temporal_spatial is less than ~75 fps or so. That's why I stick with Temporal,2X with my 520 even though qvdpautest says it will do 67 fps. The difference between Advanced,2X and Temporal,2X is subtle, at most. Playback glitches are not.

Interestingly, with the standard decoder and with vdpauskipchroma set, my 520 will do Advanced,2X reliably.  However, since I personally have yet to see a single frame that was clearly better with advanced than with temporal, I have just decided not to obsess about it.