[mythtv-users] OT: NIC going away.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Feb 8 15:06:23 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 04:49 AM, phipps-hutton at sky.com wrote:

> Quoting Michael Watson<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>:
>
>>    My MBE has started doing the same things, I was running a Realtek 8169
>> and the Onboard Intel E1000 bonded, until this started happening
>> (removed Realtek and bond setup, as I have had this happen previously
>> when a cheapo Realtek card started failing), and the E1000 is loosing
>> contact overnight (works flawlessly all day, then sometime between 2:00
>> AM and 7:00 AM everynight, it stops responding, unable to ping its own
>> IP).  A reboot fixes it.  System is 5+ Years old though, could possibly
>> be failling NIC
>
> And don't forget that NICs are always connected to another NIC at the
> end of the cable. I had problems that sound similar. They went away
> when I replaced the shabby ISP broadband router with a Netgear Gigabit
> unmanaged switch.

That's a good point to remember when trouble-shooting. What appear to be
cable problems are sometimes router failures.

In my case, though the box could not reach the router and swapping
cables (the hdhr <> mythbox) did nothing wrt contacting the box. But I
could still see the hdhr from the laptop, going through the router.

If the laptop had had problems, then it would point to the router as the
nexus of failure.

Geoff