[mythtv-users] Permissions on recordings

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 22:21:12 UTC 2012

Paul Stillwell wrote:
>Wouldn't the user running mythbackend be root? I'm not super familiar with how things get run at startup, but I'm assuming that things that get set to start when the system boots would be owned by root. Is that correct?

No, each service will be run as whatever user it's configured to run as.
Some will be run as root, most are usually run as different users for security. It varies how it's done :
Some programs need to run as root initially, but then drop their permissions to another user once some setup has been done.
Others are started as a specific user in the first place.
And in some cases, parts of a program may run as root while others run as non-privileged users.