[mythtv-users] Slightly off topic: Network connection question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 01:04:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I don't know if I can put a switch between the cable modem and the router
> (or two).  Thoughts, suggestions?

I am not exactly sure why you want to put a switch between the cable
modem and the router, but if it is just to extend the cat5 cable (two
ports in use) it will work fine.

However, presuming that the cable modem is just that, a modem, the
CMTS will (usually) only allow one downstream device to obtain an IP address
(usually your "router"/"gateway") which then implements NAT to allow
more than one device downstream to obtain a (usually) RFC1918 address
to use internally.  So you cannot use the switch to get more than one
device wired to the cable modem.  If you need more wired devices
after your router, you can (usually) place a switch on a downstream
port.

Note that while if you are in a clean wireless environment (no neighbors
or other interferers close by), only allow 802.11n connections (using
multiple spatial streams), and apply appropriate QOS (to your 802.11
networks to prioritize your real time traffic), you may be satisfied with
wifi performance with HD content, but then again, you may not be.
For every poster saying "it works for me" there are others that say it
"does not work for me".  Sometimes wifi is a necessity, but if you have
a choice, wired is going to be more consistently reliable.

Gary