[mythtv-users] Slightly off topic: Network connection question

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Dec 27 01:04:02 UTC 2012

On 12/26/2012 05:59 PM, Joe Henley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is too far off topic....
>
> I want to pull my MythTV system (server, three clients) off my home wired
> network and onto wired+wifi network.  I'm thinking that I rewire from:
> cable modem --> router --> server and 3 clients
>                                           --> office PCs
> to:
> cable modem --> switch --> router (both wired and wifi connections) --> server
> and 3 clients
>                                            --> router (wired only) --> office PCs
>
> I don't know if I can put a switch between the cable modem and the router (or
> two).  Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions; however, I don't think you can put
the switch between the modem and the router. If you use NAT on the router, then
you certainly cannot.

For testing wireless drivers, I have three wireless routers that are cabled like
this:

modem --> router 1 --> router 2 --> router 3

Router 1 has both wired and wireless clients. Routers 2 and 3 only have wireless
clients.

The one special thing that I have done is to leave the WAN ports on routers 2
and 3 empty, thus they are treated as switches with a wireless server. On them,
DHCP is disabled, and they are given a fixed address in the network
192.168.1.0/24, but outside the range offered by the DHCP server in router 1.

Why is it setup this way? The main benefit is that everything connected to this
system has an address in the 192.168.1.X range, and every device can be accessed
no matter which router is used for the connection.

In your case, the latency will be reduced a little by putting the switch between
your two routers.

Larry