[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.26 won't change refresh rate correctly

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 04:26:00 UTC 2012

On 22 December 2012 12:28, Daniel Osborne <myth at danielosborne.net> wrote:
> Hi, I've been running 0.24 until this week. With 0.24, I followed the wiki
> on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree and got judder-free
> working just fine.

I think you didn't follow the wiki properly, in particular the whole
bit in regards to modeline..

> Now when MythTV is running, it doesn't properly change the refresh rate.
> When the system boots up, it's at 60 Hz (TV reports 1080/60p). Now, if I
> play almost ANY video (24fps movie or regular cable), the refresh rate is
> set to 30 (29.975 I guess, my TV just reports 1080i, it's the 30.0 mode w/an
> * in xrandr below). Exiting the video doesn't restore the 60p either.

myth will switch to the closest one available, starting from dual
refresh rate (so 30fps -> 60Hz, 25fps -> 50Hz etc..

> Now, I know I have most of the settings still configured correctly, at least
> outside of Myth, because I can change the refresh manually with xrandr and
> it works (TV changes what it reports), plus XBMC on the same machine also
> switches correctly.
>
> So what changed in MythTV?

absolutely nothing on this part between -.25 and 0.26

> I did notice a couple of things though:
> I have one video which is actually 25, and it changes the refresh to 60 Hz.
> (again, TV reports 1080/60p)

you don't have a 50Hz refresh rate , 60Hz is the closest, that's what
it will use

> When changing the resolution with xrandr, I can't use the modes listed, I
> have to use the nvidia ones (??), for example:
> To set 1080/24p, I have to execute xrandr -r 58

if you can't do it manually, how do you expect myth to do it properly?

> dragon mythtv # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "nvidia"
>         Driver  "nvidia"
>         Option  "NoLogo"              "true"
>         Option  "DynamicTwinView"     "false"
>         Option  "NoFlip"              "false"
>         Option  "ModeValidation"      "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes,
> NoVertRefresh"
>         Option  "UseDisplayDevice"    "DFP-0"
>         Option  "ModeDebug"           "true"
>         Option  "HWCursor"            "false"
> EndSection

follow the instruction on the wiki that you had, and you should be allright

JY