[mythtv-users] ticket 10504 and php-5.4.8-1.fc17.x86_64

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 20 17:38:34 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 11:05 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 2012-12-20 16:58, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Without -d, mythbackend is started as a foreground application, and,
> So you say the logic I described is the other way in reality.
> Default is foreground, -d implies background.
> Weird for a daemon, but of course, that may depend on the perspective.

Yeah, I think perspective is a large part of it.  It's probably a lot
more common than one would think.  I know for a fact that sendmail only
runs as a daemon with -bd (or -bD, though that way is a "foreground"
daemon) and Cyrus IMAP "master" process only runs in daemon mode with
-d.  As a matter of fact, even udevd--the event managing daemon--only
runs in daemon mode with a --daemon switch.  (And then there's vnstatd
and ...)

Generally, though, it's almost universally useful to be able to run a
daemon process in non-daemon mode (especially for debugging and initial
configuration), so nearly all *nix daemons are either configured to run
as non-daemon process by default and require a --daemon type switch or
are created to run as daemons by default and provide a --non-daemon switch.

Mike