[mythtv-users] HD-PVR internal of external IR blaster?

Chris Kapp chris.kapp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 13:22:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Matt Goebel <matt at goebelnet.com> wrote:

> For the last few years I've been using one of the 2 IR blaster ports on my
> MCE USB IR receiver/transmitter to change channels on my cable box for my
> HD-PVR.  Is there any advantage to switching over to using the built in
> blaster in the HD-PVR instead?  For example better channel changing in live
> TV because the HD-PVR is aware of the channel change etc?  I've never had
> any issues with the current blaster but I just bought a 2nd HD-PVR and I'm
> concerned about the /dev/videoX ordering matching up with the blasters in
> cases where I unplug the USB cables for whatever reason.

Hi,
I have a hd-pvr and a PVR-150 connected to the same backend.  They will on
occasion swap /dev/videoX positions.  I would suspect 2 HD-PVRs would do
the same.  I solved the issue by cusing UDEV rules and creating symlinks.
I then referenced the symlinks in MythTV.  An example can be found at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev#Example_HDPVR_Rules_file

Chris Kapp.