[mythtv-users] HDPVR Kernel module reload as power cycle

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Thu Dec 6 21:52:38 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-06 15:40, Myth TV wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Rob Davis <rob at davis-family.info>
> wrote:

>>> Here is what I use to see if my hdpvrs are in use and if not, power
>>> down my satellite receiver.  You could probably modify it to do
>>> what
>>> you want.
>>>
>>> !/bin/bash
>>> export PATH=/usr/bin
>>> MYTHWEBURL=http://<url>/mythweb/status
>>>
>>> wget -O - --quiet $MYTHWEBURL | grep HDPVR |
>>> while read line; do
>>>         dish=`echo $line | sed -e 's/.*hdpvr([0-9]).*/1/'`
>>>         if `echo $line | grep --quiet 'and is not recording'`; then
>>>                 echo "Powering off directv-${dish}"
>>>                 /usr/local/bin/directv-${dish} off
>>>         else
>>>                 echo "directv-${dish} is busy"
>>>         fi
>>> done
>>
>> How often do you run this?
>
> Since I want the satellite off any time it isn't in use, I run this
> every 30 minutes.
>
> In the case of reloading the module, may you run want to reload  once
> or twice a day.
>
> The script would probably need to be modified to:
>
> 2) Check to see if the PVR is in use
> 3) If it is, sleep 10 minutes and loop until it isn't
> 4) Reload the module
> 5) exit
>
> Michael

I just went back to cable after 2 years with OTA only.  I have modified
your script to work with a Comcast box to turn it off when not in use.
I had a watch script to check if the backend had exited every 20 mins,
so I added it to that.  I have a line in it to check if the box is being
used and is on or off, if not being used and on it will turn it off,
then another in my channel change script to check it's status and turn
it on before changing channel.  Not sure how much electricity it will
save, but better than nothing.

Thanks for the idea.