[mythtv-users] HDPVR Kernel module reload as power cycle

Myth TV mythtv at blandford.net
Thu Dec 6 21:40:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Rob Davis <rob at davis-family.info> wrote:

> On 2012-12-04 11:26, Michael wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2012 09:33 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> from the wiki,
>>> "If you still experience problems with stability, a small kernel
>>> module re-load script is included below in the Bitrate and Picture
>>> Controls sub section that re-loads the kernel modules and acts like a
>>> power cycle on the HD-PVR." -
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Hauppauge_HD-PVR#Firmware_**
>>> Version_Stability<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR#Firmware_Version_Stability>
>>>
>>> Is this correct, that reloading the kernel module for the hdpvr acts
>>> as a power cycle negating the need for the user to physically power
>>> cycle the device?
>>>
>>> If so, has anyone figured out a way to initiate a module reload at a
>>> time where MythTV won't be using any attached HDPVR devices?
>>>

>> Here is what I use to see if my hdpvrs are in use and if not, power
>> down my satellite receiver.  You could probably modify it to do what
>> you want.
>>
>> !/bin/bash
>> export PATH=/usr/bin
>> MYTHWEBURL=http://<url>/**mythweb/status
>>
>> wget -O - --quiet $MYTHWEBURL | grep HDPVR | \
>> while read line; do
>>         dish=`echo $line | sed -e 's/.*hdpvr\([0-9]\).*/\1/'`
>>         if `echo $line | grep --quiet 'and is not recording'`; then
>>                 echo "Powering off directv-${dish}"
>>                 /usr/local/bin/directv-${dish} off
>>         else
>>                 echo "directv-${dish} is busy"
>>         fi
>> done
>>

> How often do you run this?

Since I want the satellite off any time it isn't in use, I run this every
30 minutes.

In the case of reloading the module, may you run want to reload  once or
twice a day.

The script would probably need to be modified to:

2) Check to see if the PVR is in use
3) If it is, sleep 10 minutes and loop until it isn't
4) Reload the module
5) exit

Michael