[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Wed Dec 5 04:18:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote on Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at
> 12:16:12PM +1100:
> > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote on Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at
> > > 11:02:48AM +1100:

> menu)
> > > on
> whined
> > > that
> > > menus
> you

> have
> thing.

> for

> of

> aggressiveness.

> two
> disagreed

> > > better
> > > menus

> > > rather
> issues.
> > > The
> > >
> > > I don't understand the problem with the current interface in Watch
> > > Recordings. With a recording selected, INFO gives me the recording's
> > > details. With a recording selected, MENU gives me the context menu for
> > > that recording. With a group selected, MENU gives me a menu of mostly
> > > group-related items. How is this illogical?
> > >

> > Because I don't think of that list as being "groups" - I have it
> configured
> > to only display All Programs and program names, not recording groups or
> > anything else. As such, moving over to the "Series List" panel to change
> > group options makes no damn sense to me at all, nor any of the other
> users
> > in the house.
>

> For someone like me who didn't use MythTV before this change, your
> preferred method would be frustrating. Suppose I have a recording
> highlighted and I want to access its menu. Logically, I'll hit the
> MENU button. But then the Group Menu pops up! What? Oh, I need to hit
> the INFO button to see the menu, not the MENU button.
>
> I'd summarize the two alternatives like this:
>
> 1) Press MENU over widget A to see widget A's menu. Press MENU over
>    widget B to see widget B's menu.
> 2) Press MENU no matter where you are to see widget A's menu. Press
>    INFO no matter where you are to see widget B's menu.
>
> Do you really consider (1) the illogical one? If so, I think you're
> confusing "illogical" with "inconvenient given my usage patterns".

 Except that you've got (2) wrong. It was:

(2) Press MENU no matter where you are to see a menu of globally relevant
options (recording groups, parental filtering and so on). Press INFO over
Widget A to see a menu specific to doing things with Widget A. Press INFO
over Widget B to see a menu specific to doing things with Widget B.

Now are people seeing my "Application Menu" vs "Right click menu" argument?
In Word, I can pull up the File menu any time I like (well, when it had one
I could, anyhow). To do something with a specific paragraph, I'd highlight
it and right click it to pull up a context menu. See how that's like (2),
and akin to how every other application in the universe works? Logical.

- Chris