[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Dec 4 12:47:32 UTC 2012

On 04/12/12 09:23, David Edwards wrote:

> One last point, which I'm surprised no-one else has raised: the Info
> and Menu functions. None of the remotes I've ever considered buying
> have ever had both these buttons. I'd love for these functions to be
> merged; aside from the pause issue, this is my biggest remote problem
> because no-one (except me) in our house can remember where the menu
> button is mapped. And even I can't always remember which button I need
> to press in various places to get the options I need.

My Harmony 600 has both Info and Menu buttons. I have never been able to find a
suitable mapping on the Logitech website that allows me to use both! So I have
exactly the opposite problem to you.

There is a distinct philosophical difference between the two buttons: Info
brings up details about the current item - either what you are watching or
whatever is currently selected in the menu tree. Info usually is just a display
mechanism. Menu obviously brings up the menu tree - either at the top or
something relevant to wherever you are. These two buttons are used by myth
exactly the way that my TV and my cable box use them.

--

Mike Perkins