[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

David Edwards david at more.fool.me.uk
Tue Dec 4 09:23:50 UTC 2012

On 3 December 2012 22:50, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I don't think anyone would argue a need for a discrete pause function

Not sure I'd go so far as argue, but if one existed right now I would
be using it. Key bounce and/or repeat on my remote make pausing a
deeply frustrating experience currently. I used to work round it with
some LIRC config, but now I'm on the in-kernel driver I've not found a
sensible solution... Not saying I want to go back to LIRC, though ;-)

Your plan sounds perfect to me; regardless of the other arguments,
ironing out the kinks in the underlying key bindings and actions
sounds to me like an obvious necessity before any other niggles can be
addressed sensibly. After that, if there does end up being a "theme"
that works for the majority of users out of the box then I'm sure it
will reveal itself. And if not, people can just share their theme for
specific remotes.

One last point, which I'm surprised no-one else has raised: the Info
and Menu functions. None of the remotes I've ever considered buying
have ever had both these buttons. I'd love for these functions to be
merged; aside from the pause issue, this is my biggest remote problem
because no-one (except me) in our house can remember where the menu
button is mapped. And even I can't always remember which button I need
to press in various places to get the options I need.

David