[mythtv-users] PVR-150 quality problems

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 00:15:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:
> This was real problem with germanium based components, silicon is much
> better.

I am (mostly) talking about the analogue components on the PVR-xxx.
The caps in particular, but other parts of the analogue pathway are also
sometimes impacted (and for the op, that includes the components
inside the metal tuner can, not just the components that you can
easily see).  The digital path, not so much (or, to be more precise,
impacted differently).

Given the *my* history of PVR-xxx cards, I always guess heat related
failures until demonstrated differently (I had 3 heat related failures over
the years on my (at the time) 4 card tuner backend until I removed them
all a few years ago as a result of a digital transition making them
essentially obsolete).  Having multiple cards allowed me to somewhat
easily determine if it was a driver issue or a card issue.  And while there
were some rough edges (usually when Hauppauge "cost optimized"
the design), the driver was quite stable most of the time.

Gary