[mythtv-users] Hamrony remote & Knoppmyth profile

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 10:42:23 UTC 2012

On my MythBuntu 12.04 system I have recently started using a USB HP IR
receiver that I bought off eBay - like
http://cdn2.cybernetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xbmc-htpc-hp-infrared-receiver.jpg

It didn't come with a remote control but I've got it working with an old
PackardBell remote I had lying around. What I'm having trouble with is
getting it working with my Harmony 600 remote configured with the KnoppMyth
profile througfh the Logitech setup software.

My hardware.conf that works with the PackardBell remote looks like this. It
seems odd to me because it's using lirc_serial modules even though it's a
USB receiver - how does that work?
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Packard Bell receiver"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_serial"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="packard_bell/lircd.conf.packard_bell"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

I was hoping that once I had the PackardBell remote working I could then
just use the same hardware.conf file with a new lircd.conf for KnoppMyth
(from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup) to receive
the KnoppMyth codes from my Harmony. But when I run irw I see no output
when pressing buttons on the Harmony.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to get this working? My
suspicion is that it's something to do with hardware.conf as the receiver
is USB not serial (though I still don't understand how it manages to work
with the PackardBell remote with the lirc_serial setup).

BTW - if I configure the Harmony as a PackardBell remote through the
Logitech software, that works - but the KnoppMyth profile has more buttons
defined which is why I'd like to get that working.