[mythtv-users] MythTV on Win 7 conflicts with ip tunnel software

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 2 03:07:03 UTC 2012

On 12/1/2012 21:20, Orange Pants wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> MythTV will not operate without access to tuner hardware, and use of
>> the backend on Windows is untested and likely non-functional.
> Was it something in the logs that made you believe i have no tuner
> software??

Nothing in the logs indicated you have any tuner, because the backend
terminated before it got to that point.

> My network has HDHomeRun. Setup was able to see it and successfully
> scanned the channels.
> Also wiki page confirms HDHomeRun works in windows builds.

The wiki says a lot of things, but with all freely editable things, it
may not be true, or may be outdated. I do not believe there has ever
been any confirmation as to whether the master backend will actually run
properly on Windows, even when using a networked tuner that requires no
direct hardware support.

> the code puzzles me a little -  why does serverpool.cpp need to throw
> away a perfectly good ip address that i provide in the configuration and
> start searching through interfaces?

The code searches through all available network interfaces to make sure
those perfectly good IP addresses you provided are actually available
for use. If they did not exist, then client's would be told to contact
the backend at the wrong address, and there would be no point to running
an inaccessible frontend. Your logs do indeed show your defined
addresses are found and used.

>2012-12-01 11:03:52.005177 D [7936] CoreContext serverpool.cpp:209
(SelectDefaultListen) - Adding BackendServerIP6 to address list.
> 2012-12-01 11:03:52.005177 D [7936] CoreContext serverpool.cpp:129 (SelectDefaultListen) - Adding BackendServerIP to address list.

The code also grabs any link-local addresses as those are often used for
autodetection mechanisms. Those are the fe80:: and 169.xxx addresses.
For whatever reason, Windows does not actually want to allow you to use
this 169.254.62.238 address, and so when MythTV tries to listen on it,
it fails. There is an option in mythtv-setup, where you configured the
IP addresses, to select whether or not you want to listen on these
additional addresses. Uncheck it.

See also...
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11030