[mythtv-users] HTTP Live Streaming over SSH

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Aug 27 16:39:53 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-27, at 11:50 AM, Chris Lewis wrote:

> Well I'm using the android app MythTvGo to do the streaming.  To be honest I just selected the high quality option ( from low, Med, hi choices) and it works fine on 54g wireless.
>
> And idea how I can see what bandwidth the back end is using for the stream

The easiest way is if you can get the URL for the m3u8 file. The bitrate is embedded in the file name. For example with this stream I requested 1360Kbps:

    7171_20120827080000.mpg.720x416_1360kV_64kA.m3u8

With myth's internal webserver you can go to API -> Examples -> HTTP Live for a list of streams on the backend and see URLs there.

I have the common 5MBps incoming and 700Kbps outgoing internet service and it's not enough to supply that stream. I assume the stream & outgoing bitrates are compatible units and I have to request a stream less than 700Kbps but I didn't try it.

HLS over ssh was more of a curiosity for me so I didn't spend much time trying to make it work. If you do take it all the way I would be interested in the details.

- George

P.S. I'm surprised someone hasn't yelled at you for top posting. It's Very Frowned Upon in this vicinity.