[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X Build Process--MacPorts

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Aug 22 01:42:46 UTC 2012

At 6:16 PM -0700 8/21/12, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> says:
>>  As JYA mentioned, the Perl/Python bindings would need special
>>  handling.
>
>Yes, there was a misunderstanding on my part. I noticed after
>upgrading to 0.25 that Jean-Yves' prebuilt Mac frontend couldn't find
>the metadata grabber scripts, and after reading a brief mention in a
>mailing list message on the topic believed that it didn't ship with it
>(just as it doesn't ship with, say, MythWeather). I found the same
>thing happened with the MacPorts frontend, and not until I read your
>and Jean-Yves' discussion in this thead (and found
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/509643#509643) did
>I realize that it is an issue common to all Mac releases, packaged in
>.app or not.
>
>>  In the frontend, go into Setup>Setup>Appearance and change the Paint
>>  Engine to Qt.
>
>It indeed fixed the issue.
>
>>  However, you'll likely get a blank screen, maybe saying "Please
>>  Wait", if you try to watch videos with the Qt painter.  See
>>  http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10469
>
>Confirmed. I'd never used the Qt painter on the Mac so had no
>knowledge of the bug's existence. How strange that both painters are
>broken in different ways; thank goodness there is no overlap, eh?
>
>While I have you on the line: May I request an AppleScript similar to
>Myth_Start_Stop for mythjobqueue?

I haven't used mythjobqueue much.  How do you intend to use it?  If
you're going to run it on a desktop machine that is always on the
same network as the master backend, it probably should be managed by
launchd, like the backend.  I don't know how it would react on a
laptop that is sometimes unable to find the backend.  Anyway, the
source to the Myth_Start_Stop applescript is at:

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/multimedia/mythtv-core.25/files/Myth_Stop_Start.applescript

Feel free to modify if you want.  And you can always just start
mythjobqueue from the command line...

Craig