[mythtv-users] mythcommflag segfaulting (still)

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:57:26 UTC 2012

I recently reviewed ticket #10222 (closed/won't fix) regarding the
segfaults in mythcommflag.  I am still seeing numerous segfaults in my
recordings.  So I'm starting on the USERS list to solicit others'
experiences with commflagging.  On a lark, I sorted my recordings by
channel and got this information:

FXHD -- Seems to always work (HDHR Prime)
HGTVHD -- Always fails (HDHR Prime)
TLCHD -- Almost always fails (1 out of 20 succeeded) (HDHR Prime)
DISCOVERYHD -- Almost always fails (2 out 30 succeeded) (HDHR Prime)
SCIFIHD -- Always fails (HDHR Prime)
USAHD -- Always fails (HDHR Prime)
TNTHD -- Alwyas fails (since Dec 2011 -- always worked prior) (HDHR Prime)
FOXHD -- Always works (OTA)
WQADHD -- Always works (OTA)
KWQCHD -- Always works (OTA)
WHBF HD -- Always works (OTA)

Lo and behold, I'm beginning to see a pattern.  All of my recordings (with
exception of FXHD) from the HDHR Prime (w/ cable card) fail.  All of my OTA
recordings succeed.  Any other people want to share their results?  Anyone
have an idea of what's happening (with, for extra points, how to fix it)?
 Is this the cable company switching resolutions at commercial breaks,
breaking ffmpeg decoding?

It's really annoying during the summer since 75% of what we watch is off
cable.  During the "regular" TV season, it's reversed.  BTW: All of the
recordings off the HDHR Prime are watchable -- the occasional, brief signal
breakup but nothing that anyone would complain about or even notice.

-- Ken E.