[mythtv-users] Disk space for frontend-only machine

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Sat Aug 18 16:25:02 UTC 2012

On 8/16/12 5:40 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I have just moved from many years of a mythtv backend/frontend combo
> so a new setup which has a dedicated backend + multiple frontends.
> I've reused the old combo disk in one of the frontends which is a
> 1.5TB disk. But I'm thinking that must be a total waste. How much disk
> space does a frontend-only machine need? Surely it only needs a small
> disk of 20GB or less to run the O/S and MythTV? Does anything else
> ever get stored on a frontend?
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Hi,

I encourage You to move to netbooting + S3 sleep.
It will give You following advantages:
-lowest cost (no HDD in FE at all)
-lowest power consumption (again no HDD)
-quickest ready-to-use (seconds if resume from S3)
-highest execution speed (if NetBoot is with RAMdisk - practically Your
storage subsystem has RAM speed)
-really simple & convenient FE ver. management (You are dealing with
single file for all FEs)

In my case:
-net boot (done usually once per few weeks mainly for maintenance
window) takes 40-50sec.
-daily use: user waits 5-7sec from pressing power button to have myth
screen on TV (2sec FE resume from S3 + few sec to start mythrontned
process). This is longer than CFL start on my LCD TV so user perception
is that FE is "always ON".

-br