[mythtv-users] mythmote App and minimyth

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 16 19:13:25 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 01:51 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 16/08/12 17:52, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/16/2012 12:12 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>>
>>> I would rather suggest that this indicates that this particular
>>> setting is in
>>> the wrong place.
>>>
>>> It's much like having to fire up the front end (on the master
>>> backend that
>>> lives in a cupboard) in order to select a theme so that you can then
>>> shut it
>>> down in order to set up the backend properly... the default Terra
>>> theme is
>>> unusable (IMHO).
>>
>> You simply have to run mythtv-setup, the setup program for MythTV, to
>> set the
>> appropriate setting.  Note that it's not called mythbackend-setup...
>>
> I'm still running 0.24.1. There is no option in mythtv-setup to select
> a theme. If that has changed in 0.25 up, then that's progress, I guess.

No, I was referring to what it takes to configure the MythTV IP address
settings that are the issue in this thread, and the one I thought you
meant by "this particular setting is in the wrong place."

We haven't duplicated the mythfrontend settings code for the Theme, or
any other settings in mythtv-setup.  mythtv-setup works without ever
running mythfrontend to set a theme.  If you're not happy with the
default theme, then it's you--not MythTV--that's requiring you to run
mythfrontend to be able to select a different theme.

That said, we all admit that the settings code is a mess because it was
designed for MythTV 0.8 or before and MythTV has changed a lot since
then.  We do plan to improve setup eventually, but it takes
time--something which seems to be harder and harder to find, anymore.

Mike