[mythtv-users] HLS -howto?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Aug 10 19:43:24 UTC 2012

* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 10:22:12PM +1000, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> Silly Question and Semi OT, I've been reading the HLS streaming documents
> from apple and I know they "recommend" a fail back stream of 64k audio only
> however what happens if no failback stream is provided? and is there a
> simple way to test this without recompiling and patching?

I think that it's more of a requirement than a recommendation if you
are an iOS developer.  I believe you have to support the fallback
stream if you're working on an server/app combination for inclusion in
the app store.  MythTV's HLS encoder supports a 64Kbit audio-only
fallback stream specifically due to this requirement.  I added the
second stream early on for the iOS app that Robert created.

> Personnaly for video I'd much rather it pause and wait for buffers to fill
> then to get audio only, airvideo does a decent job at handling this
> although they have their own player

I think they're thinking more about users on slow cell networks than
users using WiFi at home.

--
Chris