[mythtv-users] HLS -howto?

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Fri Aug 10 12:22:12 UTC 2012

On 10 August 2012 21:28, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> At 12:32 AM -0700 8/10/12, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>
>> * On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32:03PM +0530, Andrew McCauley wrote:
>>
>>>  Note:  you cannot fast forward or rewind, just play and pause.
>>>

>> You should be able to fast forward and rewind, I can do it fine
>> in JW Player on my system as well as on the iOS devices I test
>> with.
>>
>> Also, one big point is to make sure that your backend was compiled
>> with "--enable-libx264 and --enable-libmp3lame" to support the
>> H.264 video and MP3 audio used in the HLS streams generated by
>> MythTV v0.25.  Without those, you'll never get anything transcoded.
>> Some packagers are already doing this for you, but if you build by
>> hand, you'll have to remember to do it yourself.
>>

> Preliminary wiki page added based on this thread and some other saved
> posts:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Http_live_streaming_server<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Http_live_streaming_server>
>
> Craig

Silly Question and Semi OT, I've been reading the HLS streaming documents
from apple and I know they "recommend" a fail back stream of 64k audio only
however what happens if no failback stream is provided? and is there a
simple way to test this without recompiling and patching?

http://www.apple.com.cn/developer/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/StreamingMediaGuide/StreamingMediaGuide.pdf#page17

Personnaly for video I'd much rather it pause and wait for buffers to fill
then to get audio only, airvideo does a decent job at handling this
although they have their own player

Cheers,

Anthony