[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 07:51:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:02 AM, Pieter De Wit <pieter at insync.za.net> wrote:

> Sorry Tyler - but this really "hacks me off" about people "supporting" free
> software. I see it more and more:
>
> "Why not change your habits to fit in with the software"
> "Why are you doing that - that is wrong, do this"
>
> I often see/seen it on C programming, with regards to Linux. The people
> posting (and not perhaps you in this case) don't really have an
> understanding of what someone is trying to do, or simple can't see why
> someone would want to do that. IMHO, that is no reason to ask someone to
> change any aspect.
>
> My case is simple - I don't want to record every program I think about. I
> already have enough computers around the house so storage will be an issue
> (I use NFS mounts for all my Myth storage, except /var/lib/myhtv/livetv). We
> often (if not daily) pause livetv for up to 1 hour while having dinner
> (perfect way to get kids *not* to watch TV while eating) then resume when
> everyone is back or whom ever is watching the program.
>
> Following 1 or more programs, the audience may change so again, livetv is
> paused until they are all around. Skipping thru ad's is a major pain atm,
> since comm. detection for Aus/NZ is failing (easy fix, disable it for now).

I find NZ ad breaks are usually 4minutes long, you could try setting
skip forward to something a few seconds short of that (to allow for
reaction time).

> As of late, we have noticed that we fast forward, the time jumps in 30
> seconds blocks, but the video doesn't, until you reach a magic point, then
> it is skipped to the next set of ad's or end of the program.
>
> If we are not paused, "live" livetv program transition is still painful. I
> have a HDHomerun which now highlights dropped packets. Yes, this *could* be
> hardware, but it worked fine in the "last stable 0.24" and seems better now
> in 0.26
>
> I am looking at splitting out the frontend/backend.
>
> My point is/was - surely more people would have noticed this ? Esp. the
> dev's that use Myth as a day-to-day TV viewing platform (Thanks JYA for
> standing up :) - oh - and Adrian)

I try and record what I want to watch, but am often watching the 6pm
news as it records ( I liked it better when it was at 6.30!) All seems
to work fine for me.

But it just goes to show that there is no "right" usage pattern, just
as the other debate on the list at the moment about whether to try and
make a cool quiet BE/FE and save on one box, or to accept a noisy bit
ugly BE in a back room and use something small and quiet on the FE in
the lounge shows that there is no "right" answer there either. What
the debates do show is that we should all be prepared to listen to
other's usage patterns or hardware setups and be prepared to change
our ways if there is something that works better. Either that or be
prepared to submit bug reports and delve into the code to submit
patches, but that's not within everyone's ability.