[mythtv-users] Any problem with main frontend also being household network server?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:58:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:
> On 08/08/12 18:49, Damian wrote:
>>
>> My intention has been to buy another 'always on network server' machine,
>> but in an attractive quiet case that can sit on the book case next to the
>> projector (same room). This again would act as the LAN server, Myth Backend,
>> and main Myth Frontend.
>

> Hi All,
>
> I have a Antec Fusion HTPC box that sits under my TV, it looks and acts like
> any other piece of HiFi equipment.
>
> I use it as a back-end, front-end & file server (but only for media files -
> like it matters), and 2x minecraft servers.
> (it's frustrating that Minecraft servers use a fair bit of CPU even when
> no-one is connected - Grrr!)
>
> I would absolutely go this way again.  I only need one machine on 24x7, and
> with a box especially created to be quiet.  Although you can hear it humming
> in the absolute middle of the night - iff you're standing next to it.
>
> However with only an nVidia (onboard) 9400 GPU, I very very occasionally
> drop a frame on high load watching full-def blue ray.
>

> I hope this information is useful to you.
>

> cheers,
> -Kingsley

I run a standalone backend and all the frontends are independent. I
like this because if a frontend has a random problem I can reboot
it/take it down without having to worry about the backend. When they
are combined this is not possible.
I also like being able to keep that backend in the basement were it
can take up all the room it needs, make all the noise it wants, and I
bought a cheap NORCO server case instead of an expensive large HTPC
looking case.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!