[mythtv-users] Any problem with main frontend also being household network server?

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Aug 8 23:35:51 UTC 2012

On 08/08/12 18:49, Damian wrote:
> My intention has been to buy another 'always on network server' machine,
> but in an attractive quiet case that can sit on the book case next to the
> projector (same room). This again would act as the LAN server, Myth
> Backend, and main Myth Frontend.

Hi All,

I have a Antec Fusion HTPC box that sits under my TV, it looks and acts like
any other piece of HiFi equipment.

I use it as a back-end, front-end & file server (but only for media files -
like it matters), and 2x minecraft servers.
(it's frustrating that Minecraft servers use a fair bit of CPU even when
no-one is connected - Grrr!)

I would absolutely go this way again.  I only need one machine on 24x7, and
with a box especially created to be quiet.  Although you can hear it humming
in the absolute middle of the night - iff you're standing next to it.

However with only an nVidia (onboard) 9400 GPU, I very very occasionally
drop a frame on high load watching full-def blue ray.

I hope this information is useful to you.

cheers,
-Kingsley