[mythtv-users] 5x smooth FF and other Olympic wishes

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Aug 8 18:23:25 UTC 2012

On 8/7/12 7:11 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:
> a) Pre-computed fast-forwarding.   A background task could build a stream at around 10x
> speed, transcoded with seek indexes to tie it to the main stream.   This stream would
> have sped-up, pitch adjusted sound as well.   It would have a higher incidence of i-frames
> and be used for most fast-forwarding (except up to 3x essentially.)   This would result
> in smooth fast forwarding up to 30x if desired, based on Myth's ability to do smooth normal vid
> at 3x.  It would allow smooth fast forwarding from 5x (half-speed play) to 20x with
> sound.   It would also allow smoother high speed fast forwarding with a smaller file to
> read from and more i-frames.    Still-frame-jerk FF is still possible in this case.

One other wish, possibly related to this: I use an HD-PVR to record .mkv
files (mostly 1080i). When skipping through them (my remote is set up to
do both 10 sec and 1 minute skips), there is a very noticeable lag
between the time I press the button on the remote and when the video
starts to display at the new position. Sometimes it's as little as a
tenth of a second, but most of the time I think it's more like 1.5 sec.
This is on a fairly beefy frontend, which performs just fine when
skipping in MP2 or MP4 content.

It's feels like MFE may be doing lots of scanning of the file and
decoding unused data to get to the new seek location. Could this be sped
up by caching or precalculating?