[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 07:36:12 UTC 2012

On 25/04/12 04:53, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Dan Littlejohn
> <dan.littlejohn at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> You open the tool and it provides a list of folders.  You
>> navigate through the folders and video entries and press play.  The video
>> starts playing.
> Agreed.
>
> So we have:
>
> 1.  There should be a top level menu entry called Path which can
> browse music by filesystem path.
> 2.  There should be a single key press to get to the tree view, with a
> default binding of "3"
> 3.  "All Tracks" should be a selectable object to add all tracks to the playlist
> 4.  Any list longer than ~100 entries should automatically subdivide
> into sublists
> 5.  MythMusic should start on playlist tree view, rather than current playlist
>
> Anything else?
>
> Eric

This whole thing was covered in detail back in February, which I read
through when I first tried out 0.25. There was a comment that the
developer was not open to changing the playlist orientated direction of
the code. Based on this, I've started looking for an alternative.

I'm not blaming the developer, I'm not blaming anyone, I'm simply
looking for an alternative because it's been made clear to me that what
I want (the pre 0.25 functionality) is not coming any time soon.

I really do wish we could let sleeping dogs lie; both "sides" have made
their cases and they don't agree, so let's supply some alternatives.

Many people are stating that they don't understand why folks don't like
the 0.25 MythMusic and that it's a big improvement on the old version.
Personally I have exactly the opposite opinion; I had no issues with the
old MythMusic and my wife/kids found it's interface highly intuitive.
But I repeat, this is not about who's is better, this is about choice! I
deliberately didn't want to start a fight about this, so I looked for an
alternative, and it just seems to have restarted the mud slinging from
back in February.

If you want my input on what features MythMusic in 0.25 should have,
here's a simple one: behave exactly like the previous version when it
comes to selecting music, it worked, it was simple, kids as young as six
understood it.

Cheers
Gordon