[mythtv-users] Cutlist editor: recovery from operator malfunction

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:25:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>> When using the cutlist editor I sometimes mistakenly select both 'Cut to
>> Beginning' and 'Cut to End' from edit points that are very close together.
>>  If I recognise that I've done this I can recover inside the editor by
>> deleting one of the cuts or the entire cutlist, but once back to the Watch
>> Recordings screen it's difficult: playback starts and stops again before
>> changes can be made.
>>
>> The remedy I use is mythcommflag (or in 0.25 mythutil) --clearcutlist, but
>> that's outside the normal user repertoire.  May I suggest that it be added
>> as an option selectable via the screen Menu key?   Or is it lurking unseen
>> already?  User Job?
>
> It's a good idea to add a "Clear Cut List" item to some submenu in the
> Watch Recordings screen.
>
> In the meantime, you could probably add a custom user job that would
> allow you to run "mythutil --clearcutlist".
>
> Another possibility (I haven't tried it yet so this is just a guess)
> would be to try to get playback to pause immediately after starting.
> I believe if you press PAUSE during the ~2-second "Please Wait...."
> period of playback startup, the keypress should queue up and get
> processed right at startup.  At this point, there would be the
> opportunity to enter the cutlist editor.

Given that it's pretty rare for someone to get themselves into this
situation, and there are a number of (possibly cumbersome yet
workable) ways to repair the situation, it's probably not a good idea
to clutter the menus with more options.

FWIW, if this were happening to me a lot, I would probably go for the
custom User Job option to run mythutil --clearcutlist.

Jim