[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music & Videos Questions

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sat Apr 14 10:21:42 UTC 2012

On 14/04/2012 8:09 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 14/04/2012 10:39, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>>
>>> This is one of the nice things about using minimyth. It runs on a
>>> readonly
>>> file system, with unionfs and tmpfs layered on top. Every night, I
>>> just turn
>>> it off at the power switch, without needing to shutdown, knowing
>>> that the
>>> underlying file system will be unaltered ready for a clean boot the
>>> next
>>> day.
>>>
>> Actually, minimyth does the right thing if you select "Exit and
>> Shutdown" from the pop-up menu. It doesn't take very long either...
>
> Yes it does, but if you are used to just pulling the plug every night,
> you have an awkward choice every time you change a playlist: do I trust
> myself to remember to shut down properly tonight, or should I do it now
> and then have to reboot before I can continue? It would be handy if
> minimyth had a "restart the frontend process" option.

I cant see how Minimyth will do it properly, when its a "Feature" of
MythFrontend.  As I understand it, Minimyth is the same code, just
packaged as a Netboot image.  Unless of course it is distribution specific.

I personally dont have the issue, as I have my frontend configured to
shutdown itself when it is idle, part of my shutdown script exits the
frontend properly, waits for the frontend process to disappear, then
shutsdown.   I do see the issue, when I create a playlist on frontend #1
(or mythweb), then go and try and play that playlist on frontend #2.

Strikes me as odd, that MythMusic (and I think MythVideo) cache its
relative contents when starting Mythfrontend, not when starting the
actual plugin, and then (in mythmusic's case), not bother to update the
DB until Mythfrontend is closed, what happened to user friendly stuff
like autosave.....