[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music & Videos Questions

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Apr 14 10:09:13 UTC 2012

On 14/04/2012 10:39, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 14/04/12 04:46, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Scott& Nicole Harris<snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
>>> This is a standalone frontend, which I (and more importantly the wife)
>>> views as nothing more than an appliance. You turn appliances off when
>>> you're not using them, preferably with the remote that came with it...no
>>> different than a TV. You don't need to be "special" to turn the TV off,
>>> you simply press the power button. I'd think most people would expect to
>>> be able to "press the power button" (exit and reboot) from the
>>> appliance's
>>> on screen menu and have it do what ever it is it's supposed to do,
>>> properly.
>>
>> This is one of the nice things about using minimyth. It runs on a
>> readonly
>> file system, with unionfs and tmpfs layered on top. Every night, I
>> just turn
>> it off at the power switch, without needing to shutdown, knowing that the
>> underlying file system will be unaltered ready for a clean boot the next
>> day.
>>
> Actually, minimyth does the right thing if you select "Exit and
> Shutdown" from the pop-up menu. It doesn't take very long either...

Yes it does, but if you are used to just pulling the plug every night,
you have an awkward choice every time you change a playlist: do I trust
myself to remember to shut down properly tonight, or should I do it now
and then have to reboot before I can continue? It would be handy if
minimyth had a "restart the frontend process" option.

P.