[mythtv-users] UK DVB-S Channel Numbering

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:30:36 UTC 2012

On 9 April 2012 16:57, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> After another channel scan of 28.2E after the latest shuffle of channels i
> find myself again in the position where i have multiple copies of some
> channels (some don't seem to work, some are regional etc) and I have spenyy
> hours yet again getting the channel numbers correct.
>
> What do other UK users out there do?  It would seem to me some king of sql
> script to update the channel name and number (including call sign and
> XMLTVID where required) is the best way to go.
>
> Now I've seen http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments and the
> scripts there but they dont cover the entire range of FTA channels from
> what i can see.  What i was thinking is that after a full scan a script
> could scrape the required SID and channel data from lyngsat or somewhere
> and produce an update script that would rename and number the channels
> based on this. I'm not suggesting this be implemented in Myth but a script
> n the wiki would be great.
>
> I e-mailed the lyngsat webmaster address a while ago but never got a reply.
>
> I would consider trying to do this properly myself but my skills a just
> not up to it.  I'd obviously be prepared to test any script and would shout
> at all if it trashed my channel listings as its basically trashed already
> IMO.
>
> So, what do other UK DVB-S/S2 users use?  As currently my recording
> schedules are not working correctly.  For instance if i set 'Eastenders' to
> be recorded at any time on any channel for SWMBO then it tries to record
> one copy of each of the BBC one channels despite the name and subtext
> looking identical to me.
>
> TIA for any advice
>
> Chris

Hi,

I believe that this sort of things has been considered before however there
are no simple solutions.

You need to tie the radio times feed to the lyngsat/kingofsat information.
neither provide an easily parse-able feed of information and I havent
looked but I guess that it wouldnt be within the terms of service. You
would have to strip the information out of the HTML on the website
(scraping) which is probably not with the TOS as mentioned and each time
they changed their site slightly the code would need tweaking.

after that include all the regional variations, numbering, especially in
combination with requirements with selective channel inclusion, Freeview,
Sky and Virgin Media and you get an endless number of variations...

Feel free to roll up your sleeves; but this is not as easy as it sounds.