[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 11.04 breaks video for ATI

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Mon May 30 02:15:22 UTC 2011

On 05/29/2011 06:56 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
> I was getting good video on Ubuntu 10.10 using the OS driver.
> I upgraded to 11.04 and found that the video was tearing.
> I did a clean install of 11.04, and found that although there was no tearing, the frame rate was unstable (dropped frames make
> smooth pans jerky)
> I installed the ATI proprietary drivers, and I get sound but no picture.
>
> Back with the OS driver I turned off de-interlacing and found I still got jerky pans. I tried both "libmpeg2" and "Standard"
> decoders with the same results.
> I tried OpenGL and got a tiny picture tiled in 1/9th of the screen with the other 8 tiles copies of the UI background.
>
> What can I try to get playback working again?

It occurred to me that a clean install had enabled effects on the desktop. I logged out and logged in again with effects
disabled, and while I now had smooth pans, I had tearing again (so this is the setting my upgrade was using).

I also realized that the OpenGL tiny tile was the same size as my UI for MythTV. I set the UI size back to all zeros, and my
OpenGL video was back to full size. But OpenGL is stuttering both video and sound at about 1 second intervals.