[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon May 23 08:07:20 UTC 2011

On 23/05/2011 06:24, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 22 May, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>>
>>> it's not noticeable by much ; can only see it in the logs that
>>> something went amiss. My amplifier takes a while to resync over hdmi
>>> audio ; so this it where I notice it the most (and because I'm so
>>> acute to audio problems)

>>> 4GB
>>>
>>> It's a samsung 7200 RPM 1TB disk.
>>>
>>> No known issues.
>>>
>>> Jean-Yves
>>
>> I'm thinking it may be a SQL access speed issue. increasing the HD
>> buffers don't seem to fix it, and it only seems to be an issue with
>> recordings. I also notice that if you rewind and play that section
>> again it will be fine, so it's not the recording in any specific way.
>>
>> I'm wondering if you were to decrease your available memory if the
>> pauses will get longer. I'm currently thinking of maxing my backend
>> motherboard to 4GB (I'm at 3 now) and see what that does to my minor
>> stutter. My parents system has a slightly worse stutter, only 2GB of
>> ram, want to try increasing theirs as well and see if that helps.
>
> I've had the same problem ever since I upgraded my FE/BE from 0.23 to
> 0.24. The playback pauses are correlated with the backend starting
> and/or finishing a recording.  The picture just freezes and the sound
> just stops.  In my case it can be for a couple of seconds.

Exactly the same for me. I assumed it was a well known problem, but
maybe not. For me it wasn't immediately on upgrading from 0.24. When
I first upgraded I used to see a lot of backend crashes, but those
were replaced by the momentary freezes as I took on new versions from
0.24-fixes. I assumed this was because of the improvements in locking.
And I definitely prefer the momentary freezes to the crashes. :-)

Paul.