[mythtv-users] Micro Server and Low Profile Digital Tuner Card

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Sat Mar 19 18:32:33 UTC 2011

On 19/03/11 17:59, MH Acct wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm finally getting around to setting up MythTV at long last, and I wondered if I could please pick your brains about a couple of things.
>
> I'm wanting to set up a headless server then fire the content over the network to my laptop - I was looking at getting one of these servers as they're cheap with the cashback, this should run fine, correct?
> http://www.it247.com/product/1/COMSU...-warranty.html
>
> I am in the UK and want to push the server in between my aerial wall socket and a "normal" digital TV box, so I figured on getting a digital input card with a coaxial input and output - would the output socket usually act like a straight-through socket so that I can just link that to my existing digital box and that can view whatever it wants, irrespective of what the MythTV box is doing, or would I need a splitter?
>
> Also, can anyone recommend any low profile digital tuner cards, please? I want to get an OK one, but not break the bank too much (but I have a decent budget, if necessary).
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me - I'm a techie person but I've been out of the loop on hardware for a while now.
>
> MH
Hi,

On the aerial pass-through options, I've had mixed results with a
Hauppauge Nova-T card.  It worked fine while the computer was off, but
as soon as the computer was on, I got practically no signal on the
pass-through, rendering it useless.

In the end I just got a splitter from here:
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinesplittersandamps.html#InternalSplitters which
worked very well.  I've actually got the signal going through 3
splitters before it reaches the tuner card, and reception is still
great.  Btw, that site has more information than you could ever want
about aerials and all things related to TV reception in the UK.

I don't know about any low-profile tuner cards though, sorry.

thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started