[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Spencer Herzberg spencer.herzberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:13:06 UTC 2011

> > Spencer doesn't explicitly say so, but I suspect his wife doesn't use
> > any "passtrhough" application to watch live TV.  I bet she simply
> > switches the TV input to the STB output (via the hdpvr) and then
> > switches channels on the STB.  Training her to select a certain MythTV
> > menu item before watching live TV and then always, Always, ALWAYS
> > remember to exit that menu item when done might adversely affect the
> > WAF.
>
> Correct, she does not use Mythtv at all unless I am there controlling it.
She uses the STB. I do keep telling her of all the hours wasted because of
commercials and her response is that the commercials are nice because of the
snack, restroom, and other types of breaks they provide. My response is
thats what the pause button is for...

> >> Or, you can write your own script that can be run at the command-line or
> >> through cron, using the Python bindings.
> >>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/0.24_Python_bindings/Connection_Handlers#lockTuner
> >>
> >> (Description isn't complete, yet, but if you pass a capture card ID, you
> >> can tell it  to lock a specific tuner--tell mythbackend that tuner is
> >> not available, so it won't be used for scheduling.  You'll need to keep
> >> the connection from the python script to the backend open as long as you
> >> want the tuner locked--the destructor will unlock anything prior to
> >> closing the connection.  So, if done on a cron job, the first script
> >> could lock the tuner and keep it open and the second could )
>
> Heh, forgot to finish the thought...  "the second could just kill the
> first process."
>
> Looks like this would be an optimal solution for my needs. Plus my wife
wont need specialized training because I know that wont go over very well.
If I get ambitious enough this weekend I will try to code something up and
post back my results so others can try it out if they want.

Thanks again!